Sunday, July 26, 2009

Garage Sale Day

Let me give you an idea: when you’re starting to fantasize about your house burning down, it’s time to have a garage sale. We did that today and there are no words to describe it. I’m making a commitment now that I will never buy something other than a house or a car for the rest of my life. I want to buy space. Not “things” but the “absence of things.”

It was going to my head today. People were trying to negotiate lower prices with me and I always automatically went with the first price they quoted.

“How much is this?”

“I don’t know. Ten dollars.”

“How ‘bout five?”

“Sure.”

It was beautiful to me. Because in my head, when they asked me the question the first time I had to fight the impulse to say, “Just take it! It’s free! Don’t you get it! It’s junk!!! I don’t want it!!! If you ask me, I’ll pay you to take it away."

I clearly recognize that this would affect sales numbers at the end of the day. But I can’t bring myself to care.

I discovered this whole garage-saling world out there today. They’re amazing how they’ll rifle through these piles of clothes and books and examine these products that look they’ve been parked in someone’s garage since the first world war.

It gives me stress to own this stuff but to actually get a chance to see people who go out and pay to take it off your hands just stuns me.

The one depressing thing I found was that we pulled out a certain amount from the garage, sold $300 worth of stuff and then, somehow, when we put things back in the garage we had more than what we started with in the first place. This is a cruel joke.

1 comment:

Dale and Judy said...

I got a good laugh from this one. I needed that laugh. Don't give up on the whole garage sale idea -- have another one soon. You'd be amazed how you can keep selling, purging, and amassing the bucks! Garage "sale-ing" -- quite an interesting world out there. I'm a little embarrassed to say that I'm one of those that LOVES to rifle through the junk :)