Monday, September 7, 2009

Grief

Grief comes like throw up sometimes. Your thoughts start to bottleneck like cars on a freeway and all it takes is one unusual thing to focus on.

My grandmother has recently been diagnosed with terminal cancer. She’s actually been taking the news really well but it’s sending the rest of the family through a loop. We’re all in a slight-panic mode running trying to do something helpful or trying to look like we’re doing something helpful.

But my Grandma keeps saying that the only thing she wants is to go peacefully in her sleep.

My Dad called to tell me while I was at the park and I took the news really hard so I thought I’d drive myself straight home before I started to lose it. I always think I’ll take things like this better than I do.

Grandma was laughing in the background as my Dad was talking. He said, “She says she’ll take Obama care.”

I assumed that was probably a resignation toward the end since our family has always assumed that acceptance of democratic, political measures is tantamount to death and destruction in the slowest, most illogical ways known to man.

I spent last weekend with her and she is adamant that she can’t go fast enough. But I know the rest of us are not at all ready to see her go.

I’m having trouble spelling out to her how much I love her.

4 comments:

Aurora Bang said...

Condolences to your family...I lost my grandmother ten years ago today. A few days before she died, I was the one who sat up with her. I asked her how she was feeling; she said she really wanted to go where grandfather went---and told me that she wanted it right there and then. I told her that there was a pail full of water in the bathroom; I suggested she could crawl out from the bed to the bathroom and drown herself in that pail of water. She said if she could just crawl out of the bed, she'd do it. So I said, would you like some ice cream, Grandmother? She smiled at me and said: "Yes, I'd like that." She passed away unnoticed; we just found her gone. I took the task of closing her eyes.

Joel Bergman said...

Thanks Aurora. I'm sorry to hear about your grandma. It's so hard. Isn't it? It's still not completely sinking in with me.

Unknown said...

Still socks me in the gut when I talk about it/think about it. She's iconic to the Bergman clan. She's been the glue that's held this family close through the years. Everyone is coming to see her now, to make sure she knows how much she is loved. Her legacy is infinite, truly. The ripples of the lives she's forever touched and changed will go on forever. An amazing woman.

Aurora Bang said...

I surmise Sara is your sister...she just accurately described my grandmother.