Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Grandma

Okay. I haven’t been back to this thing forever. I’ve been slacking. I admit it. There are extenuating circumstances but there are always extenuating circumstances.

As John Lennon once said, “Life is what happens when you’re making other plans.”

I will give myself a tiny little pass on these past few weeks though. My grandmother died and I’ve been having trouble putting my thoughts into words about it. It was only about a month ago that my Dad called to tell me that she had cancer. I cried a lot that day and I think I outcried everyone at the funeral. Not that there’s any competition for these things.

But I’ve been feeling like I need to write something about it. About her. And I just can’t think of the right words.

Any words that I have to write about her just seem so trivial.

It feels like it’s so long till I’m going to see her again.

My Dad once told a story about his own grandmother when he was a child. She was coming to visit the whole family on the train and he had so much excitement to see her. But several weeks would pass by and when it came time for her to leave, she would have to board the same train and wave good-bye. Being only a child, it was difficult for him to understand that he was going to see her again someday.

That’s how I feel.

I love you, Grandma.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Joel,

I don't know if you remember when my daddy died in high school, or the speech I gave about it our senior year in drama class. But, know this, it's ok to be frustrated and angry... And, yes, it seems like such a long time till you'll see her again, but it will be so worth the wait, my dear! I feel your pain, brother. Much love to you! You're in my prayers!

Joel Bergman said...

Thanks Tara. I appreciate that. I don't think I remember you saying that about your dad. That's so hard. I can't even imagine what that was like.