Saturday, December 5, 2009

Answering Without Listening

Richelle and her Christmas music have started their Saturday thing. I was caught trying to answer her question without actually listening to it. I’ve found that this is the great thing about yes or no questions. You don’t have to listen to a thing. You just say yes and people seem perfectly happy.

The problem is when the question comes back to visit you in another venue and you have no idea what was coming. For instance, she just came to me and said, “Can we give this to my dad and get new ones for ourselves at Costco today?”

To which I innocently asked, “We’re going by Costco today?”

“Oh my gosh!” she began yelling, “You really don’t listen to me! I asked you earlier and you said, ‘Yes. We’ll go.’”

I tried to explain the whole answering without listening concept which she found mildly interesting. But she really just wants me to get started on putting up the lights. Apparently, I said “yes” to this as well.

1 comment: