Monday, January 3, 2011

A Resolution to the “Other Days”: The Brainchild of a Massive Dose of Unnecessary Over-thinking

It is Monday, January 3rd and I’ve yet to establish what my new year’s resolutions should be. I thought that possibly becoming more decisive might be one, but I’m still not sure. Also, I do realize that the whole point with New Year’s Resolutions is to start from midnight on January 1st and try to make it the whole year through- like the start of a marathon.

My friend even called me on New Year’s Day to ask me what my resolutions were and I went into a long-enough tirade to make him sorry he even asked the question as to why I don’t think I’ll make one this year. At least not on that exact day.

It’s just the thought that- knowing my history- I’m doomed if I make one. It’s as though I’m announcing to the world all of the things that will definitely NOT happen to me this year. Which almost makes me wonder if I set my goals to be the opposite of everything I’m wanting, then that “NOT happening” idea might cause the things I am wanting to happen to actually happen. Like I want to gain 10 pounds. Something I may have already achieved. Or do I want to make more money? Abolustely not. I’ve seen and contemplated enough advertisements to know how to answer this without a second thought. I want to make as little as is humanly possible.

This is not to knock the act of goal-setting for myself in any way. I think this is just more of an aversion to January 1st itself due to the past let-downs. So let me dedicate this resolution to the other days I tend to ignore. January 3rd, or February 8th, or August 17th, or December 30th for instance.

Because I think the time for myself to get started on a goal is always the day I’m thinking of that goal. Or even the minute I’m thinking of it. There is no time like the present.

The irony is that January 1st might be the one day in the year where I might just want to put off making a decision until tomorrow.

1 comment:

Dale and Judy said...

What about a resolution to write ?