Thursday, April 2, 2009

Insurance Fights

Richelle is seething right now. She’s gone through another bout with our medical insurance company over paying for these simple tests she wants to have done. I usually get lost somewhere in her play-by-play of what’s going on. But just the sheer length of the description and the fact that she refuses to skip over even the minutest detail in the on-going saga makes me break down in tears begging her to let me just pay for the “freakin” tests. She will not.

“How are we going to pay for it? With the money we don’t have?” Of course, I’m silent at this point. It would make more sense to me to pay for it with the money we do have, but I know better than to bring this up.

My wife is a fighter. She will carry this flag to the United States Supreme Court if she has to. I’ve learned this lesson all too well in the three years of our marriage. There have been times where we will have been fighting about something for hours on end. The conversation itself will have taken multiple right and left turns to the point where I will have completely lost my way. Enough time will have passed and enough complicated topics will lead into other complicated topics and eventually I will not be able to remember what it was we were fighting about in the first place. Just that I’m supposed to be mad.

I’m wanting to warn the insurance people. I don’t know who to talk to, but I just want to tell them, “It’s easier if you just go along with it in the first place.” Smile and nod. Just smile and nod.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My favorite line: "Enough time will have passed and enough complicated topics will lead into other complicated topics and eventually I will not be able to remember what it was we were fighting about in the first place. Just that I’m supposed to be mad."

That is so you, and I identify with it because I'm the EXACT same way! :) In arguments I have to struggle to hang on to what it was I got angry about; I forget so quickly. Sad. In more than one way. :)