Sunday, November 30, 2008

Badly in Need of a Shower

I am badly in need of a shower. I was hoping that I could make it about a 36-hour stay with my family where I’ll be able to return before my body starts to reveal a stench. No need for travel shower. But this did not work out. The 36 hour stay turned into a 54-hour stay where Richelle began to make comments that my hair was beginning to take on smells ranging any where from sour milk to rancid fish sauce. Either way, I was not in a good place. It was stressful to be hugging people. By Sunday morning, I could feel that camping sensation where you can feel the cultures climbing over the build of dirt and oils that you’ve left piling up over the last few days. I tried drenching myself with my father’s aftershave but I don’t think this did anything more than just confuse people. Like they were detecting an ocean breeze Aqua Velvet flavor of rancid fish sauce.

But I had a great time with my family. I love just talking and eating and hanging out with them. We sit around in a circle and talk sometimes and I’m amazed at how therapeutic that is to me. Sometimes, I’ll find myself getting derailed from the actual full group discussion and simply appreciating what a great thing it is that we’re all taking the time to just talk to each other. It feels like conversation is a lost art these days. The more we get removed from it, the more we tend to struggle.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My favorite line:

"I tried drenching myself with my father’s aftershave but I don’t think this did anything more than just confuse people. Like they were detecting an ocean breeze Aqua Velvet flavor of rancid fish sauce." I actually laughed out loud, which drew my husband over to ask what I was laughing about.

BTW, I had NO idea you were going showerless all weekend; no issues here. Good thing I don't have to get much closer than a brief hug. :)

Oh, and I'm SO with you on the whole-group-conversation thing. Loved, loved, loved it!!

Joel Bergman said...

I know. I wish we could have more of those. It's amazing how freeing it is just to be able to communicate with people. To think people used to do that for entertainment almost all of the time. It's hard to get across to people. They don't seem to connect with that need.