Friday, November 7, 2008

Car trouble

I’m at the mechanic’s right now. Happily spending my Friday waiting for my car to get back from the doctor. The little “check engine” light came on so I have no idea what that means. It was nerve racking. I could feel my palms beginning to sweat taking glances at it as I’m flying down the freeway this morning. My hope and prayer whenever it’s a car issue is that it be something cheap to fix. I guess that’s everyone. But I’m at the mechanic’s mercy. I have no clue. Like Seinfeld says, to people who have no idea how to fix cars, we look at the engine itself as though we’re hoping to see a giant “on and off” switch turned off.

I found a great mechanic though. He’s almost too nice. I don’t quite know how to tell him though. Whenever I picture myself saying it to him, I also picture an awkward moment of silence where he’s nodding his head to thank me and I’m breaking into a long, nervous speech to explain to him why I said such a random thing. These are the some of the insecurities I deal with. I’m letting you into the inner circle; little photographs of the mad hatter running the booth upstairs.

Well, there’s good news and bad news, I just found out. Whenever people ask me which one of these I want to hear first, I sometimes wonder if it’s possible to just hear the good news and not ever really know about the bad news- maybe just be surprised when I get there.

But I found out it’ll be about $150. Good news, not nearly as much as I’ve paid for car issues before. Bad news, it’s still a lot. And he said it was a smog issue which really made me regret bringing it in. I just passed smog and I won’t need to get that taken care of for another 2 years. I guess it's for the peace of mind. There's a delicate balance there between keeping money in my account and keeping the world spinning around me. But I don't have anything to worry about. The Lord takes care of us.

2 comments:

Dale and Judy said...

Great line, Joel:
"These are the some of the insecurities I deal with. I’m letting you into the inner circle; little photographs of the mad hatter running the booth upstairs."

I think we all have those mad hatters running the booths upstairs. I'm trying to keep them in check all the time :)

Unknown said...

Hey, no fair. Mom copied and pasted the VERY line I was going to copy and paste. Great line. Very clever.

So here's my second fav:
"Well, there’s good news and bad news, I just found out. Whenever people ask me which one of these I want to hear first, I sometimes wonder if it’s possible to just hear the good news and not ever really know about the bad news- maybe just be surprised when I get there."

Great one...very true and very funny!

Hey, I just wanna say, you have 4 followers now, which took you all of one week to attain, and I have 5 followers, which took me 3 months! :) Great job, bro.